Measurement process of the Green Metrics Tool - High level overview
The Green Metrics Tool can orchestrate your application by consuming what we call the usage_scenario.yml →.
This files includes your architecture specification as well as the flow of how to interact with the application.
After orchestrating all the services with their respective containers the Green Metrics Tool attaches the Metric Reporters to the containers. The Metric Reporters are to be understood as
- usage_scenario.yml → file is read
- Containers are downloaded from Docker Hub or from local docker cache
- Networks are created according to the networks part in the usage_scenario.yml →
- Containers are orchestrated connected to each other according to the services part in the usage_scenario.yml →
- X Seconds Idle (5 seconds by default)
- Attaching of the Metric Providers →
- flow part of the usage_scenario.yml → is run. This part of the usage_scenario.yml → contains
the commands that are executed on the containers.
- This can be:
- A Webbrowser interacting with the webserver container
- a simple terminal command to execute a machine learning application in a container
- simulated clicks / keyboard entries to interact with a Desktop application in a container
- Network simulation tests where containers are added / removed to provoke certain behaviour or failure
- This can be:
- X seconds idle (5 seconds by default)
- After the flow the data from the Metric Providers → is collected and parsed
- Saving all to the database and running formatting / aggregations